Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Review: Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare



Title:  Clockwork Prince (Infernal Devices #2)
Author:  Cassandra Clare
Genre:  Young Adult Paranormal
Publisher:  Margaret K. McElderry Books
Format:  Hardcover (self-purchased)
Release Date:  December 6, 2011

We are once again drawn into the world of the Shadowhunters of Victorian London. Tessa Gray has found refuge with the Shadowhunters of the Institute in London, where she is protected from the Magister and even her brother Nate. But one can never truly hide from pure Evil.  While Charlotte struggles to keep her position as head of the Institute, Jem, Will and even Tessa do everything possible to find the Magister and bring him before the Clave. As the deadline for finding him draws closer and closer, Tessa, Will and Jem discover that the Magister’s war against the Shadowhunters is more personal than they ever could have imagined. Their search takes them from the English countryside, to a fancy ballroom filled with enemies and even to the City of Bones. That search even brings them into the halls of the Institute.  But finding the Magister is not Tessa’s only worry.  She must contend with her growing feelings for Jem and the fact that she is inexplicably drawn to Will.  Finding the Magister may be the only thing that frees Tessa from her doubts and worries.

Cassandra Clare does it again with this amazing sequel to Clockwork Angel. Not only does she continue the spellbinding tale of the search for the Magister, but she introduces us to new characters and reacquaints us with our familiar favorites.  We get to learn more about the history of the troubled warlock Magnus, and discover the history of the ancestors of some of the more infamous Shadowhunters.  Clare does all of this while telling a complicated, engrossing tale rivaled only by her Mortal Instrument series.

I love this series, and I can’t get enough of it. Waiting a year between books is practically torture. Sometimes I wish I hadn’t discovered it until ALL of the books had come out. Then I wouldn’t have to wait. But I do have to wait, though it is definitely worth it. Clare never disappoints. She manages to keep the reader’s interest peaked throughout the entire book, keeping you guessing and on the edge of your seat. I never know what to expect when I am reading one of her books. Just when you think everything is getting better, or at least going okay, Clare throws a monkey wrench in the mix. And surprisingly, I really enjoy those monkey wrenches. Bring ‘em on!

As always, Clare has given her readers a book that is extremely well-written. One of my favorite things about Clare as a writer is that she doesn’t talk down to her readers, she actually writes like we are intelligent people. That being said, I did have to keep my dictionary handy. Because Clockwork Prince is set in
Victorian London, Clare frequently uses language we don’t often see in modern times. I like that she does this, because I feel like I am actually learning something.    

In case you can’t tell, I really enjoyed Clockwork Prince and I can’t wait for the sequel. My daughter Tiana has read the Infernal Devices series as well, and watching her read them when I know what is going to happen is always fun. She is very expressive and emotional. She must have slammed the book down about ten times and screamed “I hate this book!” I even got a text message at work one day about how crazy the book was making her. She didn’t really hate the book though, like I said, she is just very expressive. Tiana loved the book, too.  So, the consensus in our house is two thumbs up and we can’t wait for the next book! 

My grade for Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare:   


5 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm soooo looking forward to reading this. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way with this series! Its torture to wait a year for the next book, especially when they're so addicting. I love this series and the drama between Jem, Will and Tessa. Definitely looking forward to the next installment as well. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! nice positive review :) I am looking forward to the next installments too . I read all of the mortal instruments and infernal devices . Clockwork Princess will be awhile but City of Lost Souls is due out pretty soon and then there are two more after that !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been seeing this book around quite a bit in the blogosphere! It looks and sounds so great. Can't wait to read it!

    Megan @ Storybook Love Affair

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh! The fact that both of you loved this book makes me want to read it even more. The plot sounds so interesting and I have heard such fabulous things about it. I also think the cover is very enticing. It is on my list! Awesome review!

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! If you leave a link back to your blog, I will check it out! No spam, please. Rude and insensitive comments will be deleted.