Friday, July 1, 2011

Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick

This book was amazing! Utterly, totally and completely amazing!  This is by far one of my favorite reads this year. I could not put it down, I blew through it in 2 days, stopping only when forced to!

Book description: 

It could happen tomorrow...

A cataclysmic event. An army of "The Changed."
Can one teen really survive on her own?

An electromagnetic pulse sweeps through the sky, destroying every electronic device and killing billions. For those spared, it's a question of who can be trusted and who is no longer human...

Desperate to find out what happened and to avoid the Changed, Alex meets up with Tom---a young army veteran---and Ellie, a young girl whose grandfather was killed by the electromagnetic pulse.

This improvised family will have to use every ounce of courage they have just to survive.


I don't want to give away too much about Ashes; this book has one twist after another!  This book was fast-paced, exciting and suspenseful. Each time I came to the end of a chapter, my pulse was racing and my thoughts were flying and I was dying to know what happened next!  Bick really captured the insaneness of a world gone crazy and she created characters I really cared about.  I had expected this to be just another young adult, dystopian world novel. I was thoroughly mistaken!  This is definitely NOT typical, it's fascinating!  The story was not what I expected at all and the end blew me away. I sat with my mouth hanging open, muttering, "No, no, it can't be over!"  I hope that Bick is planning a sequel to this amazing novel.

Just a few notes:  I think this novel is best suited to high-school age students and up. It can be pretty bloody and gory at times; it is not for those with a weak stomach. There are a few swear words, but nothing too major.

The expected publication date is September 6, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! If you leave a link back to your blog, I will check it out! No spam, please. Rude and insensitive comments will be deleted.