Sunday, September 18, 2011

Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg



Title:  Prom and Prejudice 
Author:  Elizabeth Eulberg
Genre:  Young Adult
Publisher:  Point
Format/Pages:  Hardcover/288 Pages

Prom. Just the mere mention of the word causes fantasies of dresses and make-up and gorgeous up-dos, not to mention, boys. This is especially true if you are a student at the prestigious all-girls school, Longbourn Academy, where prom isn’t just a dance, it’s a life-altering event. But scholarship student Lizzie Bennet isn’t interested in all the hoopla that goes along with prom; she just wants to fly under the radar and finish out her time at Longbourn. But thanks to her friend Jane’s new romance with Pemberley Academy’s Charles Bingley, Lizzie finds herself pulled into the chaos. Unfortunately, Charles’ best friend Will Darcy pushes every button Lizzie has, and then some. Darcy is a self-centered, pompous jerk who dislikes Lizzie because her family has no money. Or does he? Lizzie learns some hard lessons as she discovers maybe people shouldn’t be judged so quickly.

Prom and Prejudice is a delightful, fun read that actually teaches a lesson along the way. It proves the adage “when you assume, you make an a** out of you and me.”  Or “you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover,” a boy by his money or a girl by her lack of money. Eulberg’s book is a clever homage to the beloved classic, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, even using familiar character names. I had a lot of fun reading this book and the time flew by as I rushed to the end.  I was anxious to discover the truth about Darcy and Wick; and I needed to know if Lizzie could overcome her prejudices long enough to see the real boy beneath the money and attitude.

I really liked this book; it was interesting and uncomplicated fun right to the very end. It also made me want to pull out my dusty copy of Pride and Prejudice. I think my girls would enjoy the book as well. And hopefully, it will make them want to check out the classic as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! If you leave a link back to your blog, I will check it out! No spam, please. Rude and insensitive comments will be deleted.