Friday, August 5, 2011

A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies


Title:   A Beautiful Dark 
Author:  Jocelyn Davies
Genre:  Young Adult/Paranormal
Publisher:  HarperCollins 
Format/Pages:  Netgalley/229 pages
Publication Date: 9/27/2011

Birthdays are a time for change, a time for growth. But Skye could never have imagined how much her life would change on her 17th birthday.  Skye suddenly has two extra boys in her life, vying for her attention.  Devin is blond, blue-eyed, tortured, seemingly shy and uncomfortable while Asher is the polar opposite, dark hair, dark eyes, cocky and self-assured. Not only does their attention change Skye, but the things they tell Skye about herself change all she ever believed about her life.  Now Skye must make a choice, a choice with consequences she never could have believed possible.  Light and Dark. Peace and Chaos. Which one will Skye choose?

A Beautiful Dark was an unexpected surprise!  Jocelyn Davies provides the reader with a different twist to the typical young adult paranormal story—a twist I will not give away in my review.  I’ll just say that what I expected to happen did not happen, the motivations of the characters were not what I expected and the end of the book blew me away.  It was really refreshing to read a book where the characters were not predictable or typical; in fact, a couple of times I caught myself sitting with my mouth hanging open, surprised by what had just occurred. Like I said, this was a very refreshing book.

A Beautiful Dark is a good book, well-written and obviously well thought out. I really enjoyed it.  I will be recommending this book to my girls. And can I just say—there had better be a sequel!

3 comments:

  1. My name is Frishawn and I would love to have you follow me here: http://wtfareyoureading.blogspot.com
    Following you NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good and I haven't heard of it before. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im always hesitant to stop by mom blogs even though I have a little one. Usually its a mess of coupons and freebies and I love reading blogs about books (not knocking the mom blogs! Please dont think that...I actually belong to a few!) but I am glad yours is about books. I just bought Starsrossed and Nightshade last night because Ive read such great reviews. I couldn't find The Goddess Test but its on my to find list as well. Have you read either? It was nice to meet you and thanks for joining in on my blog and giveaway!! Im following you now. Next week will be my 100 followers giveaway so please stop by!!! :)
    Closeencountersofthenightkind.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! If you leave a link back to your blog, I will check it out! No spam, please. Rude and insensitive comments will be deleted.