Monday, February 6, 2012

Hunger Games Chapter 5

"No one will forget me. Not my look, not my name. Katniss. The girl who was on fire."  Katniss Everdeen, Chapter 5, page 70

Chapter 5 of The Hunger Games finds our District 12 tribute, Katniss, going through the humiliating process of being "groomed" for the upcoming introduction of the Tributes.  Katniss is plucked, scrubbed clean and has had her nails done. It is in this chapter that we meet Katniss' stylist, Cinna. Cinna is perhaps the most normal person Katniss has met in the Capitol, he is clean-shaven and attractive, without unnatural skin coloring and he doesn't use the affected accent heard by so many residents of the Capitol. She immediately likes him. Cinna prepares Katniss for the Opening Ceremonies and tells her what she will be wearing. It is customary for Tributes to dress to indicate the industry of their District. District 12's industry is coal and Katniss has grown accustomed to seeing the Tributes dressed in coal miner's outfits and this is what she fully expects Cinna to force her to wear.  But Cinna has a different idea.

"You're not afraid of fire, are you, Katniss?" Cinna, Chapter 5, page 66.

My answer:  "YES!!" Maybe with more exclamation points behind it.  But Cinna convinces Katniss (and Portia manages to convince Peeta) to wear the outfits with the synthetic fire. Okkkkaaaaaayyyyyy.... Ummm, yeah, not me. Here's the picture from the movie before they light them on fire (you can see it in Cinna's hand).


This chapter was probably the one in which I started to figure out exactly how Peeta really feels about Katniss.  It's just evident in the way he talks to her and the way he acts around her. I also like chapter five because it is the chapter in which Cinna is introduced and he is one of my favorite characters. 

   

3 comments:

  1. I think I would need a little convincing too, but it was a brilliant idea! I like the picture from the film. Now that I'm finally reading The Hunger Games it's easy to realize just how great it is. Can't wait to see what the film is like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe my eyebrow may raise but having worked in the intertaient industry with a black metal band...we lit them in fire all the time!! Lol. I would start asking technical questions!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see how it looks in the movie!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! If you leave a link back to your blog, I will check it out! No spam, please. Rude and insensitive comments will be deleted.