Saturday, June 18, 2011

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Right now, I'm reading Wither by Lauren DeStefano. It is set in the far future, generations away. In an attempt to eradicate various diseases and even things such as allergies, scientists develop an immune system boost for children. Naturally born "flawed" children soon cease to exist, giving way to these genetically enhanced children born from perfectly enhanced embryos. The "first generation" of children does well, living well into old age, but their children and following generations do not. Males live only until age 25 and females only until age 20. This gives rise to the rich and wealthy wedding their sons to multiple girls in order to attempt to repopulate before the human race becomes extinct.  Which is where we find Rhine, about to be wed to a man she doesn't know or want.

Interesting concept. I am hopeful that the story will continue to hold my interest as it progresses.

I am on page 112, there are 358 pages total. This is the first book in what is called the Chemical Garden Trilogy. 

My girls haven't read this yet, though I know A is planning to. Her stack of books to read is bigger than mine is though, so she may not get to it for awhile.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! If you leave a link back to your blog, I will check it out! No spam, please. Rude and insensitive comments will be deleted.