Thursday, July 12, 2012

Feature and Follow Friday #39


Feature and Follow Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Rachel at Parajunkee's View and Alison at Alison Can Read.  It is a great way for bloggers to make new friends and find new blogs to follow. Go to either blog, follow ALL the instructions, and then add your link to the list. It's just that easy! 


This week's question:


What drove you to start book blogging in the first place?


I have several reasons. 


1)  I really do feel that I have something relevant to say about books. I am a mother of teenagers and I work with hundreds of teenagers as well, so I feel sort of qualified to discuss what books they might like to read. 


2)  To be honest, one of them was to get my hands on more books. One day, I was talking to a good friend of mine who is a librarian in NC and she asked me if I belonged to NetGalley. I responded with "What the heck is NetGalley?" After she told me about it and how she was able to read books BEFORE they came out, I nearly broke my fingers going to the website! I registered, looked over the books and sent in about four requests. 


3)  I had been batting the idea of a book blog around for awhile and I think that discussion about NetGalley was the push I needed. I had been posting reviews on Goodreads and LibraryThing for quite awhile and I really liked it. I figured, why not? Somebody might want to hear what I have to say, right? 


So, I came over here to Blogger and spent about twenty minutes trying to figure out what to call my blog that would be original and memorable. I finally settled on the name and wrote an introduction post. I posted a few reviews--which make me laugh when I look at them now--for books I had recently read and waited to see if I would get any of my books from NetGalley. 


As I started blogging more and more, I realized that I could really promote parents reading the books that their children read. I strongly believe reading brings people closer and my daughters and I are living proof. 


How did you start blogging? Leave a link to your Feature and Follow Friday in the comment section and I will stop by and check it out!
  

18 comments:

  1. Hi Amie! New follower from Follow Friday. Lol. Nearly broke your fingers trying to get into Net Galley! That is some serious book love! Happy (early) blogoversary!

    http://www.jjbonds.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did too when I first heard of Netgalley LOL, then I went a bit nuts asking for books. Still behind over there.

    old follower

    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower! Good answer.I had no Idea it was a way to get books before their release date.When I started blogging all I heard was ARC this and that, and i was like what??? haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still trying to catch up on Netgalley reviews. I hate it when I get declined, I'm the sort of person who takes it personally lol

    New follower :D

    http://bookdoll.blogspot.com/2012/07/feature-and-follow-friday-is-weekly.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi & Happy Friday,

    I <3 Netgalley! a great answer.

    My FF: http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/feature-and-follow-friday-13th-july.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started blogging and then I was like, WHAT? I get free books too? Score!!! lol. So I know what you mean.

    Old follower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey I live in AZ too! We're practically neighbors!

    I adore NetGalley =)

    New follower


    -Amanda P
    Paranormal Romance

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great answer! Netgalley is so addictive. Even when I know I can't fit any more into a month, there I am, scrolling through the new additions...

    I am a new follower, I'd love it if you visited me and returned the favour.

    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice! Netgalley is like my BFF! It's where I get like 99% of my ARCs!

    Here's my Friday Hops

    I was a featured blogger!!

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for dropping by, Annie! I loved reading this post, and I like how honest it is as well! :) Haha, yes, when I started blogging as well, I had no clue whatsoever what NetGalley, GoodReads, or any of it was >_< and omigosh, YES, I LAUD THAT LAST POINT! I've been pushing good YA books that I've read in my mother's direction as well. Thankfully, she's open-minded so she's eager to see what I'm reading nowadays too. It definitely gives us a feeling of being more understanding to each other!

    Vivian @ Vivaciously, Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mom use to read to me when I was little. She also would buy books for me to read - she knew what author's I liked and would buy ones that she thought I would like. I love her so much for helping me find the love for reading.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Liked reading your answer, happy Friday!

    http://thecharacterconnection.blogspot.com/2012/07/feature-follow.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had a lot of free time on my hand a long with a combination of other things xD.

    New GFC follower here :).

    Sandy
    My FF Post

    ReplyDelete
  14. What great reasons for blogging! And I really love the name of your blog :) I'm a new GFC and linky follower, and here's my FF post if you're interested in why I just started blogging.

    have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What wonderful reasons to start blogging! I definitely think one of the coolest things about blogging is you really can make an impact on what other people read-- it's kind of crazy!

    New follower via GFC.

    Hope you can stop by my new blog, Ensconced in YA!
    http://cahreviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Having a mother's perspective on YA books is always welcome.
    Thanks for stopping by.
    Following back.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was so excited when I discovered NetGalley (although I found it after I started blogging)! It's such a fantastic resource. And I agree, I think it's great for parents and kids to be able to discuss and connect over books.

    Old follower!

    Thanks for stopping by my FF!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks a great story! Everyone seems to have fallen into book blogging like that. And I agree about the parent reading same things as there kid. I wish my mom read what I read!

    Thanks for stopping by. Old follower too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! If you leave a link back to your blog, I will check it out! No spam, please. Rude and insensitive comments will be deleted.